Monday, August 11, 2008

Days and daze of dog


Dog days
The star, Sirius, also known as the Dog Star, resides in the constellation Canis Major. All stars shine... but none do it quite like Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky... shining twice as bright as any other star.

In ancient Greek times the dawn rising of Sirius marked the hottest part of summer. This is the origin of the phrase "dog days of summer." The Old Farmer's Almanac lists the traditional timing of “dog days” as the 40 days beginning July 3 and ending August 11.


Dog daze
Often I find my dogs in what I perceive as peaceful, introspective moments, as if in a daze... taking in the morning sun, or evening light. I always wonder what they are thinking when I see them like this. But maybe they are thinking nothing at all, which is the purpose. I’ll come and sit next to them. I’ll gaze out to the horizon and temporarily lose myself to that moment. I’m suddenly aware of the birds chirping, the sway of the trees in the slightest breeze. The encroaching humidity signaling the onset of another hot summer day. And I take it all in. Thinking nothing at all, which is the purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment